Saturday, April 24, 2010

"Travel light, live light, spread the light, be the light."

So this week is finally coming to an end... I'm actually a little sad - it already felt like summer camp but with more adults. I have not been that stressed out in about two years. To recap, I run all of our camp programs - summer camp, outdoor ed, and retreats. And, this week was our first outdoor ed week of the spring mini-season. And... we were a staff member down. So what does that mean to me, well seeing that this was our biggest week of the season too (what a way to break in new staff!), that meant I had to teach too. Plus, the "regular" duties too -interviews, ordering a new Iceberg, diversity training, reference checks, making sure my staff team is doing great! Some of those things Wanda (my mom) and Kim stepped in and did. God sure knows when to put wonderful people in your life- we will have a new Iceberg soon!

The majority of the week: I had no clue where my Jeep keys where (on my nightstand by my bed), my apartment was slowly destroyed by Rainier (goodbye potting soil), I used the same coffee cup all week (yes, I did rinse it out -sometimes), and I was not able to check my emails until yesterday around 4PM. However, I was able to connect with a child with autism, Rainier provided much needed loving to children that very much deserved it, I know that a child's life is changed because they came to camp, and I know a specific little girl understood me better than I understand myself. I almost cried during lunch when her kind, yet slow, words washed over me. Everyone that encountered her needed extra patience to make sure she was on the right tract, but she, in blunt honesty, said what she wanted to -to everyone. She read my mind and touched my heart and being like only a child can. That is why I do what I do. Because of her. Because there will be more children like her.

During this time of year, my life may seem unbalanced to those on the outside. But, this is the time of year I feel most like myself. Albert Einstein once said, "Only a life lived for others is worth living." I get to be intentional and I get to be a role model for all of the little eyes that watch me every day! Learning how to balance all of my "non-camp" life is something I have tried to do in the past. But I have learned, only those that truly understand will ever understand and the other parts of my life have to complement this lifestyle. I'm naturally drawn to the outdoors, so that helps very much!

The thing that has concerned me this week is my eating and exercise habitats. I try to be as healthy as possible and that so didn't happen this week. However, I have also learned to be kind to myself and know that this past week was peculiar, to say the least. I've been working on fitting time into my schedule for myself and training for climbing helps make this a priority. This upcoming week will be better and I am so excited about it!

I found the title of this post on my Yogi tea bag yesterday as we wrapped up the week! What are some ways you want to be kinder to yourself and be the light? Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment